People/Awards; Learning Opportunities; Calendar
The city of Fort Myers received an Outstanding Achievement Award from the Florida Stormwater Association for the Ford Street Preserve filter marsh project. EnSite provided landscape architecture for the project. The project was designed to intercept all seasonal runoff from the Ford Canal and divert it through a constructed wetland system consisting of a control structure across Ford Street canal, a settling pond and two planted wetland treatment cells prior to discharging through an overflow weir to Billy’s Creek.
The Pennsylvania Land Trust Association honored West Lampeter Township with the 2016 Government Conservation Leadership Award, which is given in recognition of demonstrated leadership in the conservation of special landscapes and critical natural resources. The township has used innovative, cost-effective methods to improve the health of local water and the Chesapeake Bay, and has adopted a land-use policy that protects both agricultural and natural resources.
Maryland-based environmental services firm EA Engineering Science and Technology was awarded a contract to undertake a stormwater management review on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. The firm will help the state of Hawaii Department of Transportation, Highways Division, Oahu District comply with national pollutant discharge elimination system requirements and its municipal separate storm sewer system permit. The 12-month contract has a year-to-year extension option for up to six years and a maximum value of $4.8 million.
Bill Boulanger, utilities superintendent with Dover (New Hampshire) Community Services, received the Environmental Merit Award from the New England office of the Environmental Protection Agency for his innovation in addressing pollution concerns as a result of stormwater runoff.
The Cannon River Watershed Partnership and the city of Northfield, Minnesota, announced the 2016 Stormwater Pollution Prevention poster contest winners. Students submitted posters supporting the theme “Be the Solution to Stormwater Pollution.” First place was Corrie Demas, Prairie Creek Community School. Second place was Marcos Gallardo, Greenvale Park Elementary School. And third place was Julian Vazquez, Greenvale Park Elementary School.
Yenier Vega, the stormwater utility manager for the town of Cutler Bay, received the Young Leader Award from the American Public Works Association’s Florida Chapter in the stormwater category for the Southwest 212 Street drainage and roadway improvement project.
The Environmental Protection Agency honored Boeing South Carolina with the regional 2016 EPA Rain Catcher Award in the Commercial Category for the Stormwater Reuse Project in Charleston, South Carolina. The project involved a system to reuse stormwater from the site’s three retention ponds for irrigation of site landscaping.
Green Communities Canada’s RAIN Community Solutions, a program delivered locally by Greening Nipissing, was a recipient of the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change 2015 Minister’s Award for Environmental Excellence. The award recognizes environmentally innovative contributions to such things as climate change resiliency. RAIN Community Solutions is a program that was created in response to the growing impact that stormwater runoff and flooding was having on communities.
American Water Works Association
The AWWA is offering a webinar titled “What You Need to Know About Climate Risks to Water Utility Infrastructure and Assets” on Nov. 30. Visit www.awwa.org.
The University of Wisconsin Department of Engineering-Professional Development is offering “Using WinSLAMM v. 10.2: Meeting Urban Stormwater Management Goals R324” on Oct. 6-7 in Madison. Visit epdweb.engr.wisc.edu.
- Sept. 6-9 American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers International Drainage Symposium, The Commons Hotel, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Call 612/624-4230 or visit www.asabe.org.
- Sept. 12-14 National Rural Water Association WaterPro Conference, Orlando, Florida. Visit www.nrwa.org.
- Sept. 24-28 Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference, New Orleans Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, Louisiana. Visit www.weftec.org.
- Sept. 28-Oct. 1 American Society of Civil Engineers 2016 Convention, Oregon Convention Center, Portland, Oregon. Call 800/548-2723 or visit www.asce.org.
- Nov. 2-3 WJTA-IMCA Conference & Expo, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, www.wjta.org.
- Nov. 13-17 American Water Resources Association 2016 Annual Conference, Florida Hotel and Conference Center, Orlando, Florida. Visit www.awra.org.
- April 23-26 (2017) American Public Works Association 2017 North American Snow Conference,Iowa Events Center, Des Moines, Iowa. Visit www.apwa.net.
- April 30-May 3 (2017) American Water Resources Association 2017 Spring Specialty Conference,Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort, Snowbird, Utah. Visit www.awra.org.