People/Awards; Learning Opportunities; Calendar
Storm Lake received a Best Development Award for 2016 from the group 1000 Friends of Iowa, which honors projects that implement the efficient use of resources to develop sustainable communities that provide a high quality of life. Storm Lake was selected by a panel of independent jurors in the “civic category” for its work on the North Central Stormwater Project.
A $48 million expansion to Staten Island’s Bluebelt that exists to help reduce flooding has won a sustainability award. The Woodrow Bluebelt expansion, which will create a new wetland at Sheldon Avenue, was given an Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure Envision Silver Award recognizing projects that improve sustainability and resiliency.
Howard County (Maryland) announced that the Restoring the Environment and Developing Youth (READY) Program was awarded the Melanie Teems Award by the Chesapeake Bay Trust for its outstanding coordination of community members and resources to support the health of the Chesapeake Bay. READY works with Howard County government to fund employment of young adults, ages 16-25, in “green” jobs building and maintaining stormwater projects throughout the county to help alleviate the flow of stormwater runoff and improve local watershed health.
The Colorado Springs (Colorado) Stormwater Division has changed its name to Water Resources Engineering.
The Water Environment Federation is offering Stormwater Seminar 2017 on June 15-17 at the Quebec City Congress Center in Quebec City. Visit www.wef.org.
- May 21-25 American Society of Civil Engineers’ World Environmental & Water Resources Congress, Sacramento Convention Center, Sacramento, California. Visit www.ewricongress.org.
- June 4-7 American Society of Civil Engineers’ Geo-Risk 2017, Grand Hyatt Denver, Denver. Visit www.asce.org.
- June 11-14 American Water Works Association Annual Conference & Exposition, Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia. Visit www.awwa.org.
- June 14-16 Florida Stormwater Association Annual Conference, Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort and Spa, Ft. Myers, Florida. Call 888/221-3124 or visit www.florida-stormwater.org.
- June 25-28 American Water Resources Association 2017 Summer Conference: Climate Change Solutions, Sheraton Tysons Hotel, Tysons, Virginia. Visit www.awra.org.
- June 26-29 National Association of Flood and Stormwater Agencies Annual Meeting, Belmond Charleston Place, Charleston, South Carolina. Visit www.nafsma.org.
- July 16-19 American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 2017 Annual International Meeting, Spokane, Washington. Visit www.asabe.org.
- Aug. 4-6 American Society of Civil Engineers’ Younger Member Leadership Symposium, ASCE Headquarters, Reston, Virginia. Visit www.asce.org.
- Aug. 27-30 American Public Works Association PWX (Public Works Expo), Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Florida. Visit www.apwa.net.
- Aug. 27-31 StormCon: North American Surface Water Quality Conference & Exposition, Meydenbauer Center, Seattle. Visit www.stormcon.com.
- Sept. 18-20 National Rural Water Association WaterPro Conference, Reno, Nevada. Visit www.nrwa.org.
- Oct. 8-11 American Society of Civil Engineers 2017 Convention, New Orleans Marriott, New Orleans. Call 800/548-2723 or visit www.asce.org.
- Nov. 5-9 American Water Resources Association Annual Conference, Red Lion on the River-Jantzen Beach Hotel, Portland, Oregon. Visit www.awra.org.